Teawater South Railroad
Teawater Mar 2009
Teawater Feb 2010
2466wx Tender Rework
Logging Web Sites
Railroad Web Sites
I purchased a Lionel 675 engine and 2466wx tender from eBay. I knew they were "rough" when I bought them, but I wanted the 657 engine to convert to TMCC. While I am waiting for more parts, I thought I would get the whistling tender working. Unfortunately, the tender did not have the front truck; so I "scrounged" one up until I can get some parts. So, here are the photos of the work so far.
|Here is the tender with the temporary front truck. I have just finished cleaning the shell with mild detergent and qui-tips.||Shell is off. You can see the really temporary nature of the front truck. Some of the wiring was really getting brittle and the insulation was broken.||This is the relay that operates the whistle. Really a simple operation that looks for a DC signal from your transformer (and the whistle on the TMCC also works) to activate a magnet that pulls a plate up that makes an electrical connection and provides power to the motor that twirls the fan that makes the whistle sound.|
|This is the relay disassembled.||I took the brush plate off the motor to clean the brushes and the core for the motor. To clean I used isopropyl alcohol and qu-tips.||Here is the re-assembled unit with new wiring.|
|While I have a basis for a working 2466wx whistling tender, and it works while standing still; when I move it on the rails, it causes a short. Something doesn't like to be moved. When I track this down, I will update. Really a fun project.|
Copyright © 2013 SamLindsey.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited