Site Home   Family History   Train Excursions   Logging   Seneca Stone   Portfolio        
If you like this site and would like to donate any amount to help keep it up, please press this button.  Thanks.  

Site Home   Family History  Genealogy Index Train Excursions   Logging    Links   Portfolio  Site Contents 

Model Railroad Index   Excursions   Seneca Stone Cutting Mill 

Western Maryland RR   Plum Orchard  Saint Marys  Laurel History Index

Transportation in Washington County

Union Bridge

From Frederick North

From Thurmont West

Reminiscences Western Maryland RR

Reminiscences Cumberland Valley RR

National Road in Washington County

C & O Canal in Washington County

B & O Railroad in Washington County

Franklin Railroad Company in Washington County

Western Maryland Railroad in Washington County

Norfolk & Western Railroad in Washington County

Trolleys in Washington County


B&O Railroad

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was the first railroad to extend its rails into Washington County and the cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1828.

On that occasion Charles Carroll, the last survivor of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence, placed in position the first stone in the construction of the new enterprise.

The railroad reached the southern tip of Washington County in less than a decade, December 3, 1834. Although the line to Hagerstown had been started, because of the Civil War the service to the hub city was not completed until November 21, 1867. The terminus of the line was at the corner of Antietam Street and Summit Avenue, then South Jonathan Street. Regular passenger service and freight trains were operating four days later, November 25.

The Baltimore and Ohio was one of the major transportation links contributing to the industrial commercial growth of Hagerstown. It made the city accessible to the towns and cities on the vast main line of the railroad which stretched from Jersey City to Chicago and Pittsburgh to St. Louis.

Reprinted from:

"It Happened in Washington County" by Reuben L. Musey; published by the Washington County Chamber of Commerce, 1976; pp 89-97

Copyright 2013  All rights reserved.

Privacy Statement

Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited