From Frederick North
From Thurmont West
Reminiscences Western Maryland RR
Reminiscences Cumberland Valley RR
National Road in Washington County
C & O Canal in Washington County
B & O Railroad in Washington County
Franklin Railroad Company in Washington County
Western Maryland Railroad in Washington County
Norfolk & Western Railroad in Washington County
Trolleys in Washington County
In 1869, the Cumberland Valley Railroad Company, contemplating
extending their line from Hagerstown, Md., to Winchester, Va., surveyed
through this town, entering at East Salisbury Street and continuing to the
western extremity, with the intention of crossing the river to the West
Virginia border, thence along the river to Powell's Bend thence across the
country to Martinsburg, W. Va., and to Winchester, Va. Owing to the
exorbitant amount asked by the claimants, for a right of way across the
intervening land between the town and river, the company changed the
survey to the eastern and southeastern part of the district, crossing the
river, touching at the contemplated Powell's Bend. James Marsh, of
Harrisburg, Pa., was the contractor.
The first locomotives used on this part of the line were not numbered as now, but carried names just below the cab window of the engineer. Some of the names were as follows: Jenny Land, Tom Moore, Ben Hur, Longfellow, etc. Wood was used and about every three or four miles along the line, piles of wood, cut stove lengths, were stacked and the train would stop at these piles and replenish the tender, as needs required.
Following the opening of this end of the road in 1872, a picnic ground, just west of the residence of Mr. Alonzo Berry, was opened and nearly every day an excursion train was scheduled for the place, heavily ladened, with excursionists for Berry's Grove as it became known. That continued for several years until the opening of Pen-Mar Park.
Between 1820 and 1830, the following names appear as active in the town: Robert Friend, inn-keeper, 1820; Charles Haseltine, proprietor of the "Bell Tavern," in 1822; John Crawford, proprietor of the "Spread Eagle Tavern," in 1822; J. W. Sterrett was a cabinet maker, in 1823; Rev. Ruthrauff, pastor, 1823; Charles H. Lee, brewer, in 1823; Col. John Carr, a veteran of the Revolution and a very prominent citizen was one of the residents of the town at this period; Dr. William McGill, in 1824, removed to Hagerstown.
From: Williamsport and Vicinity and Reminiscences, Williamsport Chamber
of Commerce, 1933. pp 56 & 57
Copyright © 2013 SamLindsey.com. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited